Put on some good Cuban music, let the light from a beautiful summer’s day flood into your kitchen, and crack on with this gorgeous, golden brown, rich, creamy courgette and quinoa bake! It needs no introduction, just get straight to the cooking part – and enjoy this simply stunning dish!
Courgette and quinoa bake
5-8 small or medium courgettes, thinly sliced
1 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
750 ml milk (or lactose-free milk)
2 tbsp flour
50 g butter
salt & pepper
fresh rosemary sprigs
- Cook the quinoa, by placing the quinoa with 2 1/2 cups of salted water into a pot, bringing to boil and then simmering for 20 minutes, or until the water has been soaked up.
- Blanch the courgettes for a minute in boiling salted water, and then leave to drain.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Melt the butter in a pan on medium heat, and add flour, stirring for a couple of minutes. Then add milk, bring to a boil, and cook gently for another 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Taste the quinoa and season appropriately, before layering the courgettes and quinoa in an oven proof dish, ending with a layer of courgettes on top.
- Pour the thickened sauce over the top, prodding the quinoa and courgettes with a fork as you go to make sure the sauce gets everywhere.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbling and golden brown on top.
- Serve warm, on huge plates, with a glass of wine in the summer afternoon to some smooth music, and some great company. Bon appetit!